Thursday, November 28, 2013

Another Italic Nib: Reground Montegrappa Extra

Some pens are just great all over. They are exactly the right size, girth and weight and they look beautiful too. But there's something, a small yet important detail, that makes you grab another pen instead. Time after time.

Sometimes this detail is the nib, as was the case with this beautiful Montegrappa Extra 1930 in dark green Bamboo celluloid. I'm absolutely fine with stubbish factory broad nibs as done by Montblanc but that one was not only round tipped but also somewhat finicky. It was a hard starter if I didn't use the wettest of inks and also would dry out quickly.


So when I heard that a fountain pen friend, Volker from "Pen Paradise", had started offering nib grinding service I decided this was the pen I would send to him. I've had quite a few nibs ground to italics or stubs in the past, most of them done by John Sorowka, and while I am still totally happy with his work it's a long journey to the UK for those pens every time. 


The beautiful Montegrappa arrived back with me quickly and even more beautiful than it went. Here's a view at the tip from a few angles. Also note the delicious sponge like ebonite feed, soaked with the fetching blue-green Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris. 



So how does it write?


It's lovely! The color starts out a litte dark because I wrote these words right after taking the nib shots so the pen had been uncapped for quite a while.
The nib still feels as soft and smooth as it did before but minus the baby bottom issues. No reason why this one shouldn't get a lot more use from now on! Thanks, Volker.

Besides its great looks the Extra 1930 also is of beautiful size (about 15 cms) and weight with 39g capped and 29g uncapped.

6 comments:

  1. Guten Tag,

    Firstly can I compliment you on the stunning handwriting. Such a pleasure to see.

    I have a couple of questions about the Montegrappa Extra 1930, would it be easier to ask here or via mail.

    Many Thanks

    Regards

    Rahul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rahul,

      Thank you! You can ask your questions any way you choose but if you post them as a comment maybe others may find the information useful too. I hope I'll be able to help.

      Barbara

      Delete
  2. I have just ordered a Montegrappa Extra 1930 in Black & White, with a factory stub nib. Do you have any experience of using a stub nib from Montegrappa. Also have you had any issues with filling?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see you have the Bamboo Black. Which is stunning to look at, can I check are the green tones dark or lightm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rahul, I'm sorry I've never tried a Montegrappa factory stub. I haven't had any issues with filling either, however the nib has to submerged fully so you need a full and/or large ink bottle. ;-) The Bamboo is a dark green with a few shimmering highlights. It's lovely though the tortoise brown looks great too. I think it will be hard to go wrong here! :)

      Delete
  4. Barbara

    Many Thanks for the information!

    The pen has been ordered and should hopefully be here in next week or so. Can't wait!:-)

    Regards

    Rahul

    ReplyDelete