Sunday, October 27, 2013

Beautiful notebooks by BomoArt, Budapest

Today I'm reviewing some really great notebooks from a small and, I think, relatively young workshop in Budapest, Hungary. As far as I could see they don't have any blogger's reviews at all so far so I'd guess it's high time!

I think I found them via another online shop carrying a small range of their products which looked very interesting, especially their notebooks They're combining a range of nostalgic/romantic/steam-punkish prints with leather spines of various colors to mix and match after your fancy (their web shop is pretty well made too!) Among others I picked this blank A5 notebook with dark brown leather spine and prints of a nostalgic aviary.
BomoArt A5 notebook dark brown leather & aviary print

BomoArt A5 notebook dark brown leather & aviary print

The brand name is embossed at the back of every journal. Looks pretty classy in my opinion!

BomoArt A5 notebook dark brown leather & aviary print

You can choose ruled or blank paper with various page counts. Each book has a ribbon bookmark and bright red end papers.

Below you can see one of their thicker journals with 280 pages. Some of their motifs are quite kitschy for my taste but others are simply adorable like the balloons, the aviary or those roses. I love roses! I like to wear rose perfume or use rose incense, though I think this is my first notebook with roses on the cover:

BomoArt thick A5 notebook with black leather & rosa centifolia print

BomoArt thick A5 notebook with black leather & rosa centifolia print

BomoArt stationery box "balloons" with 10 A4 sheets and 10 DL envelopes

I also ordered a small stationery box with 10 A4 sheets and 10 Din long envelopes. The box is a bit larger than the DL format - which is a pity because the A4 sheets come folded to fit into the box -, but beautifully made with some leather details. The envelopes are lined with the same balloon motif you can see on the box. The sheets are unprinted.

BomoArt lined paper: writing sample. Pretty nice, isn't it?

The notebooks feel sturdy and well made. The covers are made of thick cardboard, the leather has a nice feel and isn't dyed to death. The paper doesn't disappoint either, it worked well with any ink and nib width I threw at it. (Especially that Danitrio and Diamine Asa Blue are a super wet killer combination)

The blank books are A5 format whereas the lined ones are a little slimmer. Lines are light grey and unobtrusive.

 BomoArt lined paper: writing sample, back side. No bleeding, hardly any show through. 

Beautiful products and at a rather low price point too (€17-20 for a half leather journal size A5). They also offer diaries, address books, giftwrap paper and all kinds of other papeterie stuff. They also have journals with 100% leather cover if you're not into these motifs. I'm determined to get my daily diary for 2014 from them, probably with the balloon design.

All books are handmade in Budapest and were made to my specifications. Communication was good and friendly.

What do you think about these? Do you like their designs? Which one would be your favourite?

Their web shop: http://www.bomoart.com

4 comments:

  1. Very nice journals and a very nice shop indeed. Thanks for the info.
    What about their shipping? Are Hungarian fees reasonable in your experience?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi whoever you are,
      They ship with FedEx, prices are alright (€ 15 to 20 to Germany depending on size/weight) and pretty fast (2-3 days). If you want to skimp on shipping and only order a small item I guess you could ask for registered airmail?

      Delete
  2. I love your photography! Which Namiki Yukari Royale do you have, by the way? Black or Vermilion? Or one of the maki-e versions..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi shu, thanks. :) As for the Yukari Royale, I have a vermilion and a "fall flowers" maki-e. For the sample I used the maki-e. Took me a while to ink it up as it is so beautiful but it writes just as great as it looks!

      Delete